SUPPORT PROGRAMME FOR THE COLLABORATIVE MANAGEMENT OF THE PROTECTED AREAS AND FRAGILE ECOSYSTEMS IN CHAD (APEF)
The principal objectifs of APEF programme is to programme the sustainable and collaborative conservation of wildlife, biodiversity and natural heritage and taking into consideration the needs of local population and fight poverty. At the regional level, the programme targets the regions of Salamat, Guéra, Moyen Chari, and Chari-Baguirmi (Zakouma functional ecosystems), et the regions of Ennedi, Borkou andTibesti (sahelo-saharian heritage).
The specific objective of APEF programme is to promote the collobarative management of the protected areas and fragile ecosystems in Chad. Three main objectives are identified:
- Objective 1 – Governance, sustainable financing and institutional capacity – the capacity of the institutions of biodiversity, protected areas and natural heritage conservation are improved
- Objective 2 – Zakouma functional ecosystems – a management model for Zakouma functional ecosystems is developed and implemented
- Objective 3 – Sahelo-saharian heritage – the protection, the collaborative management and the valorization of the fragile ecosystems is ensured on long term for the benefits of the local populations.
The main results expected are as follow:
- Result 1 – support the implementation of the activites of APEF programme, the revision of the nature conservation legal framework, the identification and the implementation of tools and mechanisms for the sustainable and self-financing
- Result 2 – improve the capacity of the institutions at the national and regional levels in the sectors of conservation and fight against wildlife trafficking
- Result 3 – a better integration of conservation in the national and regional policies of development and land management in the areas targeted by objectives 2 and 3 (collaborative management of natural resources and habitats and synergies human-wildlife)
• Result 4 – capacity building of national and regional institutions (in particular deconcentrate services of Ministries, regional committees and district action committees) to ensure concertation and multi actors dialogue for the implementation of the ecosystemic approach between conservation actors and development actors